Many of you may over the years have seen the Ruston diesel locomotive in the back garden of Lynton station. The loco was bought by Bill Pryor and was the first loco to run on part of the L&B trackbed after the railway’s closure, albeit only a short section adjacent to Lynton Station.
The loco RH179880 a Class 22/28HP was supplied new to Southend-on-Sea Estates Co. Ltd, Thorpe Bay Brickworks, Essex, ex works on 17 September 1936. (With acknowledgements to https://sites.google.com/site/rustonregistercom/home for the information)
Sadly over the years the North Devon climate has taken its toll on the metalwork but now some supporters have donated funds towards its recovery and two volunteers with full workshop facilities have offered to restore it for parts and material cost only. We should point out that whilst this has been facilitated by Exmoor Associates it is being independently financed.
On the 13 July it was lifted over the station building onto a flatbed lorry as the first part of its journey to Norfolk where it is to be restored.
Part of its deterioration has been the “N” missing from the.“Ruston” nameplate so for the moment it is being affectionately referred to as “Rusto” which pre-restoration does seem appropriate.